Xenix-Digiboard Problems

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Mon Jun 3 06:36:06 AEST 1991

bblue at crash.cts.com (Bill Blue) writes:
>Yes, it does matter what his experience is.  It might be different
>from yours, but it is every bit as significant.  I ran crash on a DTK
>25mhz board for over a year with nary a problem like you describe, and
>no patches or mods necessary for it to work.  There may be certain DTK
>products that have incompatibilities, but you certainly can't make a
>blanket assertion that they all do.  Well, you can, but not everybody
>is going to take it seriously.

I personally like to eliminate a potential problem before it happens.  If
there's a potential problem, the product gets chucked out the window.  It's
much easier to use a product that has been proven to work than one that has
questionable track record.  If it works for you, great, but it isn't going
to change my opinion on the product or manufacturer.

>and p.s. Xenix != Novell

I'm aware of that fact.  One of the guidelines I use is if the product is
Novell certified and will run without any problems.  If it does and there's
driver for the product under the flavor of Unix that is to be used, then
chances are there will be little or no problems with the piece of hardware.
This is just a rule of thumb that I use which generally does work.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | What to buy?
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | EISA or MCA?
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | When will the bus wars end?
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca