problem finding archive site for X11R4

Kevin Weller n025fc at tamuts.tamu.edu
Thu May 9 02:00:37 AEST 1991

I'm almost ready to post my compiled X11R4 distribution for XENIX, but
I'm faced with a problem finding an archive site willing to take such
a big package (probably around 15 megs compressed).  UUNET doesn't
take binaries unless there is a demand for them from enough of its
customers.  I would simply put it up on my own system, but that's about
to move and become non-UUCPable, and it has never been FTPable.
Anybody out there wanna take it?

All this may become moot if I decide to post my own source patches
instead of the binaries.  Here are the pros and cons of posting source
patches:

Pros...
- source patches are MUCH smaller than complete binaries, hence,
  archive sites are more willing to take them (because they're small,
  and because they're sources)
- they can be compiled for slightly differing hardware (eg., Trident
  VGA Hi-Res mode, Chain's code), although most 386 systems will work
  with my binary configuration

Cons...
- you'll need a development system (GNU c compiler also needed) to
  compile X
- you'll need to download the X sources (if memory serves, the main
  tape runs about 35 megs)
- it'll take MUCHO disk space to contain both the sources/objects and
  the binaries, whereas you'll need only (only?) about 40-45 megs to
  load the binaries and extract them

Thoughts?
internet: n025fc at tamuts.tamu.edu                |  aTm  |  GIG 'EM, AGGIES!  |
CIS:      73327,1447  (but I rarely log on)     \-------+--------------------/