making SCSI drive bootable ...

Wu Liu wul at sco.COM
Fri May 3 15:46:02 AEST 1991

/--ansari at gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Aali Ansari) said...
| I have recently brought a SCO Open Desktop System
| (Unix System V) and having some problems in making
| the SCSI drive as the bootable disk. The following
| is my hardware configuration :
|
| 	CPU 			386DX-33
| 	Drives			80 MB IDE
| 				300 MB SCSI
| 	SCSI Controller		Adaptec AHA-1522
|
| I have no problem installing the system on the 80 MB
| IDE drive and use the 300 MB SCSI as the secondary
| drive but what I really want to do is to remove the
| 80 MB IDE drive and use the 300 MB SCSI as the only
| drive. The SCO software I brought is on floppy and
| will not recognize the SCSI Controller until I installed
| the Unix run time, extended utilities and the software
| drive for the SCSI Controller (from Adaptec), therefore
| I cannot install the software directly onto the SCSI.
| Is it possible to copy the bootstrap from the IDE
| drive to the SCSI directly or even copy entire disk onto
| the SCSI.
|
| If anyone has any suggestions, they would be very much
| appreciated.
\--

You can't directly install onto your SCSI disk because the installation
kernel knows nothing about Adaptec 1522 SCSI host adapters (the 1522
being a relatively new card).

Try the following:

    1.	Install, with the IDE drive as the root disk, the Unix Runtime
	System and the LINK package from the Extended Utilities.  Don't
	bother installing anything else for the time being.

    2.	After completing the above minimal installation, reboot and
	enter single user mode to add the Adaptec 1522 driver to your
	link kit.  Relink the kernel and rebuild the kernel environment
	(i.e. build the device nodes).

    3.	Make a copy of the N1 (Boot) installation disk.  The diskcp(C)
    	command will work just fine.  You might want to consider
	formatting the target disk by hand prior to copying on it; I
	recommend formatting it with an interleave of 2 (format -i 2).
	It'll read and write faster than with the standard interleave
	of 1 if you do.  Don't write protect the copy yet.

    4.	Mount your new N1 disk.  Remove the old kernel and replace it
	with the one you just generated.  The new one may not fit on
	the disk.  If it doesn't, you'll have to do some trimming of
	device drivers that get linked in by default to get it small
	enough to fit on the disk.  Once you build a kernel that will
	fit on the disk, clean the floppy filesystem with fsck(ADM)
	before unmounting it, and (optionally) stick a write-protect
	tab on it.

    5.	Make a copy of the N2 (Filesystem) installation disk.  See
	step 3 above for details.

    6.	Mount your new N2 disk.  Figure out which new device nodes, if
	any, are associated with the 1522 driver and add them to the
	/dev directory on the floppy with mknod(ADM).  Clean the floppy
	filesystem with fsck(ADM), unmount, and (optional) write-protect
	it.

    7.	Using your new N1 and N2 installation disks, install Open
	Desktop after removing the IDE drive and configuring the SCSI
	drive to be the root disk.  Note that you will end up
	re-installing the Unix Runtime System and LINK package from the
	Extended Utilities.  Be sure to install the 1522 driver at some
	point during the initial installation, or else the kernel built
	at the end of the installation sequence will *NOT* have the
	1522 driver linked in.

I think this will work; I don't have either the time or the resources
to actually try it out.  Good luck.