Kernel Definition

Ken Seefried iii ken at dali.cc.gatech.edu
Fri May 24 01:48:42 AEST 1991

In article <1423 at necis.UUCP> jjp at necis.UUCP (Jeff Phillips) writes:
>A friend of mine is writing a paper on balanced system approach.  In it he
>makes the assertion that "...(the UNIX operating system is) too large to fit
>in system RAM all at once, therefore pieces of the operating system are swapped
>between system RAM and disk, thereby generating even more disk I/O requests."

Your friend has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.  In
any traditional Unix system (V6, V7, Sys[35], BSD), the kernel
is never swapped.  If you don't have enough physical memory to
hold the kernel, you can't boot.  Seems to me maybe he should
have actually done some research before writing this "paper".
Good places to start would be Bach's "Design of the Unix
Operating System", Leffler, et.al. "The Design and
Implimentation of the Unix Operating System" and Quarterman,
et.al., "4.2BSD and 4.3BSD as Examples of the Unix Operating
System" in ACM Computing Surveys, December, 1985.

--

	ken seefried iii	"I'll have what the gentleman
	ken at dali.cc.gatech.edu	 on the floor is having..."