33 Mhz 486 for running SCO Unix

L N Chung L.Chung at ee.surrey.ac.uk
Sat May 4 00:58:17 AEST 1991

We are trying to put together a 486 system for running SCO Unix.
Our basic spec is 33 MHz 486 with 16 MB of ram and a 300 - 600 MB hard disk.
We would like some advice on the choice of disk controller and brand of
hard disk.  Will a Adaptec 1542 or WD 7000 be good enough? How large a disk
cache does SCO Unix perfer? Which Controller is known to have compatibility
problem with SCO Unix?

Also does anybody know of compatibility problem between specific BIOS and
SCO Unix. Any info on bad experience with 33 MHz 486 motherboard is also
wellcome.

Many Thanks.