Intel Stack Problem

Israel Pinkas pinkas at st860.intel.com
Wed May 1 02:49:11 AEST 1991

In article <3867 at polari.UUCP> gcs at polari.UUCP (Greg Sheppard) writes:

> In trying to compile a rather large C program (executable is about 271K),
> I've come up against a brick wall: If I set -F3100 (hex) run make, then
> try to run the program, the system responds with an immediate "killed".
> If, on the other hand, I set -F3000 (hex again) the program runs, but
> core dumps later if some stack hungry stuff is used.  I'd like to set the
> stack higher but how do I get around this apparent 3100h limit?  Oh,
> forgot to mention I'm using the Large memory model (-Mle).  Any help on
> this would be appreciated!

You don't mention the type of Unix you are using, nor the compiler, so I
can't help if they are the ones responsible.  (Most likely they are.)  You
also don't mention the CPU, but that shouldn't matter.

Have you check your resource limits?  I don't remember how to do this in
SVR3, but in SVR4 I can type "ulimit -a" to see all my limits.  I just
tried this on my SVR3 machine and it gave me "bad option".  If you check
your limits, you may find that you are limited in stack, heap, or data
space.

In most compilers for the x86 line, stack and heap grow towards each other.
You might be able to get things to work if you increase your heap area as
well.

-Israel Pinkas
--
Disclaimer: The above are my personal opinions, and in no way represent

UUCP:	{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!st860!pinkas
ARPA:	pinkas%st860.intel.com at relay.cs.net
CSNET:	pinkas at st860.intel.com