Node name for Xenix 2.3.3

Joe Rackelmann jjr at cdffp.uucp
Sat May 18 02:02:07 AEST 1991

In article <1055 at wshb.csms.com> michaelb at wshb.csms.com ( WSHB Operations Eng) writes:
>I have a problem I don't really understand. I have installed a database
>package on my machine - an AST 386 with 9 meg ram and a 300 meg drive -
>under SCO Xenix 2.3.2 upgraded to 2.3.3 with the xnx155b from the sosco
>machine. The new package required that the node name be set in the kernal.
>I tried using /usr/sys/conf/configure to add the node name, but something
>broke and configure died doing some kind of assembly. I found that an entry
>for node name of wshb was in /usr/sys/conf/xenixconf, but wasn't  sure
>that was the only change which needed to occur. I retried configure
>in an attempt to remove the node name, but it took my null entry as
>accepting the default, ie. the currently installed name. Well, I edited
>/usr/sys/conf/xenixconf by hand to remove the node name and reran configure
>to set it to wshb again. Configure bombed again.
>
>After such a frustrating time I looked around the directory and noticed
> [rest deleted]

In playing around with this very problem, I bumbled onto the fact that
this assembler barfs on node names less than 5 characters and more than 8.
In other words, run configure and use a name of 5 to 8 chars in length
(maybe wsh.UUCP ??)  and you'll see that it assembles fine.

Just another SCO-ism, I guess...
--
Time, takes time.
Joe Rackelmann         California Department of Forestry      (916) 322-7874