Piping TAR

Steven M. List itkin at mrspoc.Transact.COM
Tue May 7 10:19:20 AEST 1991

rembis at nic.cerf.net (Michael Rembis) writes:

>Hi. I need some help on a PC based XENIX system running version 2.3.
>I am trying to relocate a tar file that is on the hard disk out to
>a set of floppies.  I have tried things like   tar xf FILE | (tar cv2 -)
>and other combinations of that command with no luck. Does anyone know
>the right sequence to initiate this ?

Unfortunately, you can't do it without first extracting the files from
the archive and then creating the floppy archive.  TAR writes to separate
files when it extracts.  There's no way to tell it to just copy the files
with all their headers to floppies.  :^(

So, unless someone corrects me, I'm afraid that Michael is stuck with
creating a temporary area, extracting the files from the tar file, and
then creating the floppies and subsequently removing the files from the
hard disk.