FAS drivers and COM ports

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Sat May 11 23:32:09 AEST 1991

dan at dyndata.uucp (Dan Everhart) writes:

>Do the much talked-about FAS drivers improve throughput on the COM1
>and COM2 ports, or are they just for multi-port boards?

FAS usually improves the throughput on all sorts of dumb port cards. Or
if there isn't much to improve, it loads the CPU a lot less during
serial I/O than the sio driver. Especially, if you use the NS16550A
UART chips. They are replacements for the NS16450 or 8250 chips usually
found on dumb port cards.

>What is the lastest version of these drivers?

FAS 2.08

     Uwe
Uwe Doering  |  INET : gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Germany      |  UUCP : ...!unido!fub!geminix.in-berlin.de!gemini