Request for help in adding terminals to XENIX

Steve Barber barber at rabbit1.UUCP
Fri Jan 23 08:59:34 AEST 1987

The original poster didn't give much detail about the hardware configuration.
We have played around with multiple terminals on PC/AT Xenix for a while
now.  We eventually settled on using the 4-port expanders from AST.
We tried the Computone 8 port board, but they hang occasionally and we
never could quite get it working with uucp *reliably*  The serial port
on the IBM serial board works OK, but hangs once in a while.

Installing the AST board is not to tough: make sure you back up your
old kernel first before relinking with the AST drivers.  To enable
logins (getty) on the AST port, modify the /etc/ttys file as documented,
or use the enable command.

I run uucp connections into PC/ATs at 4800 baud, since the darn things
fail at higher speeds due to many dropped characters.  Does anyone know
of a driver or driver/hardware pair that will sustain input to XENIX
without dropping characters into the bit bucket at speeds greater than
1200 baud?

--
Steve Barber    Rabbit Software Corp.
...!ihnp4!{cbmvax,cuuxb}!hutch!barber  ...!psuvax1!burdvax!hutch!barber