"expanded" memory w/ xenix 2.1.3

Roger Murray rem at remsit.UUCP
Mon Aug 8 10:13:10 AEST 1988

In article <234 at hawkmoon.MN.ORG> root at hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Admin) writes:
>However, i've noticed in the manual for the above board that xenix doesn't
>recognise and can not use expanded memory.  This seems to be verified by the
>fact that no matter what configuration i put the system into (using the setup
>program that came with the (dos) diagnostic disk) xenix will only display a
>maximum memory of 2.5M upon boot.
>Any suggestions, ideas, condolences??

I had the same problem, although with a different board that only had 1 meg,
but the same "missing 512K" problem came up.  How I fixed it was simple, but
counterintuitive.  I don't know if the Above board has settings to indicate
the base address.  If so, set it so that it starts at the 1.5MB mark.  Yes,
that's 1.5 and not 1.0.  The manuals I had said something about that, and
as silly as it sounds, it works.  Don't forget to set the computer to 512K
mode and use setup.  If you don't setup, you'll be battling parity errors
until you do.  :-)
--
Roger Murray

UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,randvax,sdcrdcf,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!cepu!ucla-an!remsit!rem
ARPA: cepu!ucla-an!remsit!rem at CS.UCLA.EDU