making SCO Xenix answer the phone

Mark Dornfeld romwa at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
Mon Dec 12 22:48:47 AEST 1988

Sorry, I lost the article to which I'm replying but Jay Libove
was having trouble getting a modem to respond to "AT" command
strings sent by the shell. (echo "AT S0=1" >> /dev/tty1a)

I had the same trouble and concluded that it had to do with
the sensitivity of the speed with which the modem accepted
characters.

First of all, I think you must get the attention of the
modem with "+++".  This was the string that would not go down
the pipe for us.

Not much help here except to reinforce the reality of the
problem.  Check all your other settings, make sure DTR is up
all the time.

Mark T. Dornfeld
Royal Ontario Museum
100 Queens Park
Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
M5S 2C6

mark at utgpu!rom      - or -     romwa at utgpu