Terminal and printer on 1 modem

Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz sandy at turnkey.TCC.COM
Thu Dec 22 22:49:39 AEST 1988

In article <178 at loft386.UUCP>, sdg at loft386.UUCP (Steve Goodrich) writes:

> This, then, is the problem:  we need her to have both a terminal and a
> printer at home.  There is the obvious answer of her having two modems
> and two phonelines, and our having to install those.  I think that
> there must be a better answer, though.  In my mind, a person should be

Steve,
Here are two possible solutions for you:

1) Many terminals, like Wyse, have printer ports attached which can be
   commanded to be turned on and the visual display to be turned off.
   This way, when commanded, the terminal will simply pass the data through
   to the printer. Once the printing session has completed, the terminal
   can be commanded to turn off the printer port and re-enable the visual
   display. SCO, around a year or so ago, published in their user magazine,
   a shell script which can be used. I have used this setup in the past.

2) Instead of installing a terminal, use a PC with terminal emulation which
   has file capture capabilities. The printer can simply be installed on the
   PC and your accountant and easily print any data out when she needs to.
   Her is some "food for thought", if this configuration is desirable, she
   maybe able to do some of the work locally without even calling in to the
   main system until she is ready to merge the data files.

If you choose either suggestion, only one serial/modem line will be required.

I hope that this helps,

Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz

--
Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz               XBBS   714-898-8634
UUCP: ....att!hermix!alphacm!sandy      ....trwrb!ucla-an!alphacm!sandy