Finding the user name via the shell

Chip Rosenthal chip at vector.UUCP
Fri Dec 2 04:58:20 AEST 1988

In article <6323 at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> mdella at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Marcos R. Della) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone out there knew how to determine the users
>login name while running a shell script.

I won't say the answer ... but I will tell you how to find out.

Use the "permuted index" at the end of the "User's Reference".  Whenever
you have a question like this, try the index first -- it's really helpful.
If you strip the original question down to the three significant words,
you end up with:

		user's		login		name

Try looking them up in the permuted index, and see what you can find.
This method will generally get you to what you need.

Hint:  in this case, all three of those words will get you to the right place.
--
Chip Rosenthal     chip at vector.UUCP    |      Choke me in the shallow water
Dallas Semiconductor   214-450-5337    |         before I get too deep.