Help with hard disk recovery under xenix

Jonathan Bayer jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Sat Dec 31 00:06:10 AEST 1988

In article <23020 at apple.Apple.COM> bruce at Apple.COM (Bruce Stewart) writes:
=I'd appreciate whatever help the net could provide on this one --
=
=I'm trying to recover a xenix system that will no longer boot (panic from
=iinit, apparently unable to read the superblock on the root filesystem).  As
=near as I can determine, I cannot create a bootable floppy root filesystem
=(unlike 386 xenix!) to get the machine to boot.  The manual advises me to
=re-install everything (the last resort, in my opinion, since I'd like to
=recover as much as possible before I do this).  The only other alternative I
=can think of is to find another 286 xenix system, remove my disk, install it in
=the other system, and attempt to mount it from the other root filesystem.
=
=Any other ideas?  Thanks in advance --

You can make a bootable floppy root disk for a 286 system.  Your best bet is
to find another 286 with an empty drive, install xenix, make a bootable
floppy root disk, and go back to your system.  You can also install your
original disk in the second system, but that is a pain in the butt.

JB

--
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	"The time has come," the Walrus said...