Elm bug

Jonathan Bayer jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Wed Dec 28 06:20:12 AEST 1988

For those of you who responded to my problem with Elm screwing up the
header, thanks.  I have found the problem and will describe it below:

It seems that elm REQUIRES that the system node name be available
via uname().  Since my system name is "ispi", and there is a bug :-( in
the SCO configure utility which requires that the node name be either 0
characters long or >4 characters long, I have not compiled a node name
into the system.  This caused elm to put a null string in as a node
name, and all of a sudden I was on uunet instead of ispi (grrrrrr).  I
am going to post a copy of this to the net.

It might be a good idea to add an optional define in one of the header
files (sysdefs.h is a good one) which would override any name obtained
from either uname or gethostname.  This would be good for those people
who for whatever reason can not set the node name in the kernel.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.

--
life used to be so simple.