sco xenix troff: dumb questions

Chip Rosenthal chip at vector.UUCP
Tue Dec 13 00:15:27 AEST 1988

In article <1761 at csun.edu> cacsc222 at mx.csun.edu (Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl) writes:
>And does anyone have a TROFF driver for an HP Laserjet?  This is for SCO 2.2.1

The problem is that SCO's troff is the old troff and not the device
independant ditroff.  Old troff is hardwired for C/A/T typesetter output.
This makes it difficult to implement other devices.  Some companies have
done this.  I've used QMS's qtroff, and Imagen has itroff.

For those of us stuck with old troff, I see three alternatives:

(1)  Get a translator program.  For example, SSC sells a "cat2dit" program
     for $295 ($495 for source).  Once there, you can use something like
     "jetroff".  I haven't done any of this, so no guarantees.

(2)  Junk it and buy the troff package from somebody like Elan.

(3)  Stick with nroff.

I've been using the third alternative.  I've hacked together some
driver tables for the LJ, and this has been good enough for most of the
things I do.  If anybody is interested in my "tablj.c" nroff driver,
you are welcome to a copy.
--
Chip Rosenthal     chip at vector.UUCP    |      Choke me in the shallow water
Dallas Semiconductor   214-450-5337    |         before I get too deep.