Using UPPERCASE at login

tif at cpe.UUCP tif at cpe.UUCP
Thu Dec 8 04:05:00 AEST 1988

Written  6:52 pm  Dec  3, 1988 by dasys1.UUCP!johnc in cpe:comp.unix.xenix
>I'd like to know if there's any way to make login accept uppercase usernames
>(even if they are actually lowercase), without the system telling you something
>like "if your terminal supports lowercase, please switch, and relogin".
>This method sould also login as "john" and not as user "JOHN", and should
>fix the problem of SCO Xenix/386 prepending a "\" before each capital letter.

First, I should mention that prepending a \ before capital's is intended
to be a feature.

However, in a continual effort to conform to your wishes,
(sorry for the sarcastic tone, sounded cute to me)
try putting IUCLC (Input Upper-Case to Lower-Case) in the
gettydefs for that port.

You might also want to look in termio(M) for other useful
options like XCASE, OLCUC, ICANON, etc.

			Paul Chamberlain
			Computer Product Engineering, Tandy Corp.
			bellcore!motown!sys1!cpe!tif