Xenix 2.3 getty

Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz sandy at turnkey.TCC.COM
Fri Dec 16 19:12:27 AEST 1988

In article <417 at marob.MASA.COM>, manes at marob.MASA.COM (Steve Manes) writes:

> The new 2.3 getty seems to be bound very closely to the 2.3 BNU, especially
> the Devices, Dialers and Systems files.  I ran into problems trying to use
> my own baud-sensing getty with 2.3 BNU.  Actually, the problem is that
> I can't get 2.3 getty to deal with a 7-bit dialin.   I've tried virtually
> every gettydefs combination I can think of but I can't get getty to strip
> those highbits on input.  This is a mega-bummer because the system has a LOT
> of BBS traffic, especially calling from PC Pursuit where folks are at 7/E.
> The impression is that the system has frozen on them at the "login:" prompt,
> which it effectively has unless they switch to 8/N.
>
> Anyone had any success with this in 2.3?
> --
> Steve Manes		Roxy Recorders, Inc.		Magpie-HQ BBS

Steve,

Basically what I did was to copy the old 2.2 ungetty into /usr/lib/uucp as
ungetty.old and modified my getty code to call /usr/lib/uucp/ungetty.old.
I found that I could not use the 2.3.1 ungetty because of incompatibility
<even though the manual says it is compatible!>. In my inittab entry for
the port(s), I just told it to use my auto-baud sensing getty, as usual.
Once this was all accomplished, I was back up as usual......

Sandy

--
Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz               XBBS   714-898-8634
UUCP: ....att!hermix!alphacm!sandy      ....trwrb!ucla-an!alphacm!sandy