Tex for SCO Xenix 286

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Sat Dec 10 01:39:28 AEST 1988

This is a note for all those people waiting for my implementation of
Tex for SCO Xenix for the 80286 to appear in comp.sources.unix.

It is taking somewhat longer than expected, so here it comes in this
newsgroup while we are waiting for comp.sources.unix.

This posting is identical to the one which will appear in comp.sources.unix
but the files may be distributed in different parts as I no longer have
the files I sent to Rich Salz.

The Tex implementation contains:
1) source for the Tex program, which compiles on SCO Xenix 2.2.1 (and
   hopefully also on later versions...) for the 80286. Users of the
   80386 my not need this implementation at all since they can get working
   implementations elsewhere. Nevertheless this source also compiles and
   runs on Vaxen (BSD or V9), Suns and several other 32-bit machines,
   but not on older Xenix-286 systems, including PC-Xenix 2.0, SCO Xenix
   2.1.x etc...

2) output drivers for epson mx100 or compatible printers, postscript printers
   and EGA screen. the drivers still use pxl files and have been slightly
   modified to 1) expect font files to have names like cmr10.1500 instead
   of cmr10.1500pxl (because some names become too long otherwise) and also
   to expect font files to possibly compressed, in which case the driver will
   uncompress the fonts first. The default path for the tfm files and macros
   is /usr/lib/tex but the pxl files are expected to live in /u/tex/pxl300.
   (most Xenix systems will not have enough room on / to accomodate the fonts
   but the path is easily changed)

3) A version of undump for use with this Tex on SCO Xenix 2.2 for the 80286.
   One should only use undumped versions of Tex for performance reasons.
   in virtex to make undump work.)

4) A version of compress/uncompress for use with SCO Xenix 2.2 on the 80286.
   This is a full 16-bit compress.

As initex is approximately 1Mbyte one needs 2Mbytes of ram to comfortably
use this Tex. One is advised to run Tex suid root, in which case it will
lock itself in core. Swapping a 1Mbyte process is not very desirable.

Watch out for the postings and Enjoy!

Paul.