Extended memory and ATs...

Mitchell Lerner mitchell at cadovax.UUCP
Fri Feb 12 03:44:04 AEST 1988

O.K.

Whats the real story with extended memory on an AT running Xenix.

I was under the impression that if you got a board with anything
less than 120ns chips on it, that it wouldn't run at 10mhz.

I am finding that at 10mhz, every board that I have investigated,
inforces at least 1 wait state.  If there is a wait state introduced
at 10mhz, then what would it matter if you used 150ns chips or 120ns chips?
I know that 150s cannot keep up with the bus at 10mhz, but it also
looks like 120ns chips cannot either because most of the boards
seem to employ a wait state at that speed.

Now the board that uses 150ns chips that I am talking about (the BOCA-RAM 20
AT) is garenteed(sp?) to run at 6, 8, 10, 16 and 20mhz (I guess that they
have a wait state generator that keeps adding wait states as the clock
speed goes up).

Am I really off on this one or what?
--
Mitchell Lerner
UUCP:  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!mitchell

"When I fight with my mind, my mind always wins" - Ben Hummel