vt102 termcap for SCO Sys V

terry terry at terminus.UUCP
Tue Feb 2 18:29:56 AEST 1988

> I use Kermit-MS V2.29, which tries to emulate a vt102
> on an IBM PC-AT running DOS, to connect to an IBM PC-AT running
> SCO XENIX Sys V.  An IBM serial/parallel adapter is used on each
> end.  The environment variable, TERM, is set to "vt100" because
> I do not have a termcap entry for "vt102".
>
> This arrangement is satisfactory except for use with vi.  In vi,
> a deleted line except for the last line in a file is replaced with
> an "@" character until it is scrolled off of the screen.  Additionally,
> in insert mode, freshly inserted text over-writes existing text
> until leaving insert mode at which time the over-written text
> reappears.

If you note the disclaimers, you will find that Kermit-MS (VTKermit) does
not claim to FULLY emulate the VT102.  Specifically, it wraps after char.
80 and *NOT* before char. 81.  The soloution is to use the vt100nam termcap
entry, or take out the AM.  The best thing to do would be to get a real
emulator that is supported and already handles things correctly.  Even then,
you may have noticed that the comment in the termcap file on the 'nam'
entry states that
# works better with some curses packages
This means that even if you use the 'nam' fix, some curses packages will
break it anyway.

Lest I get attacked for advertising for my boss, I recommend VTERM or VTERM
220 as good quality, pretty well supported, light duty emulations.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...!decvax!utah-cs!century!terry              |
| @ Century Software       or : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!terminus!terry |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |