Microport Strikes Again

Eric Beser K3UHF eric at sarin.UUCP
Tue Feb 9 13:25:52 AEST 1988

In article <790 at bigtex.uu.net>, james at bigtex.uu.net (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
> In article <15150 at beta.UUCP>, myxm at beta.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) writes:
> > Just got off the phone with Microport Technical Support, and they are in
> > the process of changing their support policy again. Whip out your check
> > books, it is going to cost you to talk to these guys again...
>
> Oh no they don't, not before fixing /etc/cron they don't.  On the current
> version of SysV/386 L-2.2, /etc/cron dumps core in /usr/spool/cron/atjobs
> whenever you run a /usr/bin/batch (at -qb) job.  I've called several times to
> the core dump to their system for them to look at, and deathly silence back.
> At least I will something interesting to do at UniForm, if they show...

Microport will no longer talk to you unless you have a paid support
contract. I called today and got the secretary (bouncer) and was told
that their ninty day warrenty was void the day you successfully install
your system.  I thought a ninty day warrenty was good for ninty days.
Thats what the salesman who sold me the product claimed.

I can't complain too loudly. I have gotten good response from the
help. They have sent me fixes and told me about work arounds. However,
to pay for their mistakes is sad.

I don't think abandoning their users in a time of need is quite right. Maybe
it is time to buy their "protection." Maybe we all ought to get together
to buy their "protection." Group insurance anyone?

Eric L. Beser
Ada Technology Coordinator
Westinghouse Defense Center

usenet:  eric at sarin.uucp