Microport Strikes Again

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.uu.net
Fri Feb 5 02:36:46 AEST 1988

In article <15150 at beta.UUCP>, myxm at beta.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) writes:
> Just got off the phone with Microport Technical Support, and they are in
> the process of changing their support policy again. Whip out your check
> books, it is going to cost you to talk to these guys again...

Oh no they don't, not before fixing /etc/cron they don't.  On the current
version of SysV/386 L-2.2, /etc/cron dumps core in /usr/spool/cron/atjobs
whenever you run a /usr/bin/batch (at -qb) job.  I've called several times to
the core dump to their system for them to look at, and deathly silence back.
At least I will something interesting to do at UniForm, if they show...

These support policies, where you have the priviledge of paying people (not
just uPort but SCO too) to figure out their own mistakes, are absurd.  I paid
for the working version the *first* time, not the broken version.  I thought
charge-as-you-go R&D went out in the late '70s in the computer biz.  Better stop
before I get too excited...

This reminds me of a .signature I saw once:

That's not a bug, that's a feature.  Did we charge you for the enhanced version?
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Work: 512-328-0282 Home: 346-2444; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746