Wren III-182 question

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Fri Feb 26 23:59:43 AEST 1988

In article <856 at bigtex.uu.net> james at bigtex.uu.net (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
> I recently purchased a CDC Wren III-183 hard disk from a Compaq owner.  I
> intend to use it in my PC's Ltd. 386/16.  After a great deal of trouble, I
> noticed that my OMTI-8620 hard disk controller thought that this drive, which
> has 969 cylinders and 9 heads, only has 967 cylinders and 8 heads.  Further
> investigation shows that indeed, the nineth head does not respond.  I checked
> the CDC documentation, and the drive does have a nineth head.

You might check the OMTI documentation to make sure that the controller
supports more than 8 heads, or whether any jumper arrangement is needed
to make the controller notion of the 4'th head select line agree with
the drive's.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net