Xenix/SUN tape drives

Chip Rosenthal chip at killer.UUCP
Tue Feb 23 02:55:23 AEST 1988

> wrp at biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) writes:
>	(1) I can get the everex with a QIC36 or QIC02 controller.  The
>QIC02 controller costs a little more.  There is agreement that the QIC36
>controller needs special driver software.

If these external drivers are by Sytron Corp, beware.  I'm using their
drivers with a Tecmar QT-60e drive.  They don't include any documentation
other than for their brain-damaged, menu-driven backup program.  I called
up Sytron to get the ioctl codes to rewind and retension tapes.  They
keep telling me that this information is "proprietary", even though the
folks who say so obviously have no idea what an ioctl() is.

I haven't given up.  I told them I'm willing to sign a non-disclosure,
and the tech support people are now passing the buck to their Director
of Product Development.  Maybe the dictionary needs another entry for
proprietary:  we don't know and we don't want to bother finding out.
--
Chip Rosenthal         chip at vector.UUCP		| But if you want to sing the
Dallas Semiconductor     (214) 450-0400		|  blues, then boy you better