cut on xenix?

Jim Kimble jkimble at crash.cts.com
Sun Feb 7 13:54:50 AEST 1988

In article <1144 at ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> root at cca.ucsf.edu (Computer Center) writes:
>In article <116 at corum.UUCP>, root at corum.UUCP (System Administration) writes:
>> sigh... what is the equivalent function for "cut" on xenix?  i have a bunch of
>> shell scripts that i ported over from a vax that has oodles of "cut"s in them.
>>
>The equivalent of System V "cut" on Xenix is "cut". It is part of the
>text processing utilities package.

Mr. Computer Center may have a copy of TI's "enhanced" version of SCO Xenix.
We use it at the office and both cut and paste are not included with the OS; you
have the buy the "Text Processing Package."  When I ported over a SysV
application that was using cut every couple lines, I just substituted the
lines with a "sed" script.  Something to the effect of:

set cow = `tty | cut -c6-`

set cow = `tty | sed 's/.dev.//g'`

Although it's a really dirty work-around, it works.

--Jim Kimble

"I used to be into necrophillia, flagellation, and beastiality -- but my
friends said I was just beating a dead horse."

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!jkimble
ARPA: crash!jkimble at nosc
INET: jkimble at crash.CTS.COM