SCO Xenix/386 and large drives

Jim Morton jim at applix.UUCP
Wed Jul 20 00:46:23 AEST 1988

In article <80 at iisat.UUCP>, kevin at iisat.UUCP (Kevin Davies) writes:
> Does anyone know whether or not SCO Xenix/386 2.2.2 can handle
> hard drives that have more than 1024 cylinders (under ESDI) ?

I remember hearing that > 1024 cyclinders was a problem mainly
because the SETUP memory location on AT's and compatibles couldn't
handle a number larger than 1024. Since Xenix 2.2 allows you to
overide the hard drive SETUP numbers, my guess would be that if you
have a drive **that is >1024 cyclinders and formatted** that Xenix
could handle it.

I had a similar problem with Maxtor 1140 drives, which are 917 cylinders,
but most AT's have only an entry for 900. I got around it by taking the
drives to a new clone that had many more SETUP drive combinations,
formatting the drive there, then taking it back to the AT, loading
Xenix, and telling it to use the full 917 in "hdinit".

--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...harvard!m2c!applix!jim
      jim at applix.m2c.org