Please remove PD-YACC sources from your machine IMMEDIATELY

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Thu Jul 7 00:53:09 AEST 1988

In article <1327 at csccat.UUCP> clb at loci.uucp (CLBrunow) writes:
| In article <3532 at rpp386.UUCP> jfh at rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) writes:
| >[ Sorry for the wide posting.  This really is very important ]
|
| 	This is an incredible botch!
| >
| >Below is a copy of a letter which was received recently from AT&T.  This
| >letter explains the status of the ``Public Domain'' YACC which I
| >recently posted about.

| > Unfortunately I don't have the logs going
| >back this far, but if your machine is listed, it has been in contact
| >with rpp386 at some time during the period when YACC was available.
|
| 	Why the confession? Actions speak louder still. This is an
| 	ignorant hachet-job you call administration. I wouldn't care
| 	if you'd leave me out of it, but you want to play at name-dropping,
| 	"oooo look kiddies, all these connections", and link everyone with
| 	your foul-up.

  I expect flames like this in the ibm.pc group, but I fail to see what
the problem is. Would you not tell everyone? Do you keep logs of all
callers to your system for years? This is a list of people who have
called him, and if you didn't want to be listed you didn't have to call.

| 	Just what are you trying to say? Everyone who has access by
| 	any means (anon uucp, PC Pursuit) is touched. Why do you
| 	feel compelled to be so grandious? Did your dog die or something?

  I don't see the connection on this at all, either.

| 	In the recent past, you have posted personal attacks against
| 	other SA's, issued groups and threatened more in areas yet
| 	unresolved, and now this jesture. Are you sure you can handle
| 	a great big 386 all by yourself? Maybe you need training wheels?

  Sounds to me as if he did the responsible thing, to admit that a
mistake had been made and take a practical approach to correcting the
problem.

| 	Why do you keep changing your names? Are you
| 	embarrassed to go by one name and live with what you say?
| 	Are you getting set-up to pull a bone-head JJ stunt?
| 	Why don't you just tell us what's next so we can avoid the
| 	rush to dis-connect.

  Why this vituperative personal attack? Do you have some reason to
personally attack John, or to believe that he is about to do something
unethical? Or are you offended in some way that he runs a system which
is accessed by many people, who appreciate his work?

  I can't tell if John has changed his name, but the name and system id
have not changed in some months at least (my first archive is April 88)
and I fail to draw any connection.
| --
| 			CLBrunow - KA5SOF
| 	Loci Products, POB 833846-131, Richardson, Texas 75083
| 	   clb at loci.uucp, loci at killer.uucp, loci at csccat.uucp

  I see no justification for this three alarm flame other than extending
personal malice into a public forum. Whatever your perception of the
past, your reply does not seem to be in any way germane to the original
posting, and would be inappropriate for anything but a direct personal
attack, and in bad taste even then.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)