"sped up" compresses

Jay Mathew Libove libove at libove.UUCP
Wed Jul 27 00:27:57 AEST 1988

Well, I received two sets of speedup sources - one from ucbvax!cogsci!jsilva
and a second from hutch at hubcap.clemson.edu (gatech!hubcap.clemson.edu!hutch)
and I built compress with the two of these upgrades (one at a time, of
course; the two speedups replace the same routine) and then I compressed
a copy of /xenix and a 500K text file with each.

Results:
file		straight compress	+jsilva		+hutch

/xenix		3.2s			4.8s		3.7s
500K text	4.9s			5.0s		5.1s

Now, I don't know if I did something funny, but I've been at this kind
of stuff for a while, and I don't think I missed anything.

So, has anyone else tried these "speed-ups" out yet? What results did
you get? For me, obviously, I am staying with the distribution version!
--
-Jay Libove {pitt|bellcore}!darth!libove!libove *or* Jay.Libove at andrew.cmu.edu