Bell Tech 386 SysVr3

John Peters jsp at sp7040.UUCP
Sat Jul 23 04:23:19 AEST 1988

In article <25145 at ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, jsilva at cogsci.berkeley.edu (John Silva) writes:
> How does Bell Technologies 386 based SysVr3 stack up to SCO?  It seems to have
> everything, but I am really unsure as to it's reliability.  Is it stable?
> Do all the utilities work as they should?  Is it really a 'complete UNIX'
> as they advertise?

I am not sure as to their reliability; its probably like all software and
has a few problems.  There is a few things you should know though:

1.  SCO may have the "look and feel" of UNIX, but it is not UNIX and is not
	at the level of System V Release 3.

2.  System V Release 3 has major enhancements of System V Release 2 and
	SCO Zenix has not come up to its level of diversity of tools.

I know that I am going to get flamed on all this (Hi Terry) but I do feel
SCO is misleading the public with their advertisments for Zenix System V.
It is not AT&T System V Compatable and I beleive SCO is trying to
capitalize on the bandwagon.

On the other hand, maybe we can finally cut out the System V - BSD - Zenix
wars when System V Release 4 comes out.  Somehow I doubt that SCO will be
willing to relinquish being different.