"sped up" compresses

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Sat Jul 30 15:01:28 AEST 1988

In article <60 at libove.UUCP>, libove at libove.UUCP (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
> So, has anyone else tried these "speed-ups" out yet? What results did
> you get? For me, obviously, I am staying with the distribution version!

I have attempted to compile the speedup assembly routine in with the compress
4.0 that i have and, so far, i have gotten it to compile and link but when
compressing a sample file, say /tmp/compress.c, i get:

	-12.5% compression -- file not changed

obviously something is wrong.  Perhaps it is the way i compiled it.  is there
any special way one can cause the speedup.s code to be compiled in 286 mode?  I
have to use the -Ml model to get compress to compile and i have tried doing a
cc -Ml on the speedup.c and a "file speedup.o" states that it is an 8086
relocatable.  I know that problems will occur when trying to link differing
memory models.  Does anyone know how to generate a 286 object out of the
assembly code (or is that file can't tell the model from relocatables?).  I
have even tried sticking in a ".286p" directive into the code.

This stuff didn't work with just 8086 either, btw.
--
Derek Terveer		det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
			w(612)681-6986