modem answering at wrong speed

Mark J. Bailey root at mjbtn.UUCP
Sat Jul 23 14:06:38 AEST 1988

Hello,

I am having an annoying problem that some of you may have also experienced.

I have 1) Mitsuba 2400 Internal Hayes compat. modem and 2) Prometheus 2400P
External Modem and my Tandy 4000 '386 system running SCO Xenix 2.2.2.  I have
my modems set to answer at 2400 baud and then cycle to 1200 on a CR and then
back to 2400.  They are supposed to reset to 2400 baud at logoff, aren't
they?  Well, what is happening is that on initial setup, they answer the
first calls just fine, and then when the user logs off, they answer the
next call properly at 2400 baud ... sometimes.  At other times, they seems
to get "stuck" in a 1200 baud mode, and that is where they stay, regardless
of getty sending at 2400 (supposedly), they still answer at 1200 baud.

My question was if anyone else in netland had experienced this odd behavior
with Hayes 2400 compat. modems, and if so, what you did to correct the
problem.  Is it getty?  Or the modem?  I have even tried logging in at the
1200 speed and then logging out with control-d and watching getty throw
garbage on the screen as it resends the "login" prompt at 2400 baud to the
modem, yet the modem still answers at 1200 on the next call.  Only until
I reset the modem back to a pre-first call state, does it again answer at
2400 as it should.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Answer by direct email if you
prefer.

Thank you!  Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey                                    "Y'all com bak naw, ya hear!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37130 ___________________________