Xenix Mail User Interfaces

Barnacle Wes wes at obie.UUCP
Sun Jul 17 04:48:30 AEST 1988

In article <5447 at dasys1.UUCP>, mikej at dasys1.UUCP (Mike Johnston) writes:
> I am looking for some recommendations on a mail interface that will work on
> an Altos 2086 running Xenix. I have smail and pathalias compiled an working
> but with smail installed, the user interface is poorer than that of the
> original mail program supplied with Xenix.

Check the manual for the Xenix mail program to see if it supports using
other mailers to actually send the mail.  The Sys V `mailx' program,
which is supposed to be similar to the Berkeley mailer, has a variable
s_e_n_d_m_a_i_l_ which tells mailx the name of the program to use to actually
send mail.  Mailx lets you edit the message, and then pipes the message
into the program specified by s_e_n_d_m_a_i_l_.  The default is s_e_n_d_m_a_i_l_=_m_a_i_l_.
--
                     {hpda, uwmcsd1}!sp7040!obie!wes
           "Happiness lies in being priviledged to work hard for