"Smart" serial boards for the 80386

Pete Rourke pete at romed.UUCP
Sat Jul 2 12:23:39 AEST 1988

In article <655 at wb3ffv.UUCP> howardl at wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) writes:
>In article <235 at belltec.UUCP>, jim at belltec.UUCP (Mr. Jim's Own Logon) writes:
>>
>>     A lot of complaints about Bell Tech all of a sudden. I'm sorry that you
>> don't like the serial card. You are in the minority. It is still the best

> Well Jim I don't really want to start a mud slinging contest here on the net
>as you mention later on in this message, but I do feel there is a problem, and
>honestly, have I been unfair in my critisims ?? I have never flamed a company
>on the NET before, so I don't consider myself a person that FLAMES just to
>get attention. Again I say, would you personally like to make your ICC work
>on my system ?? (Inquiring minds want to know :-)
>
>your sales department that you received the messages posted to the NET. I
>will say that I resent being refered to as a person that would flame a
>product for no reason at all, and I will gladly retract all statements
>that I have made to the NET if you can prove that the problems were all
>caused by my inability to install the product correctly...

I don't know that I would be so defensive about flaming or mud slinging.
We, stopped selling Bell Tech equipment, after reading a published article
being passed out at Uniforum 1987 in Washington, by the chief mud slinger,
and flaming artist Dimitri. At that time, Dimitri had grandstanded for
Microport Unix over Santa Cruz Xenix, denouncing the Xenix product.

Then after realizing that his equipment did in fact function well with
SCO Xenix, he switched back, and to my amazement, he was allowed at the
Santa Cruz Developers Forum.

Now we're off on Bell's the Greatest Unix?

Seems like Bell's leader changes tunes faster than most folks change
underclothes, and vacillates like a windshield wiper. In an article
in the 386/ix mail group, it would look like Dimitri himself wrote all
of the best parts of the Intel/Interactive/Bell drivers, and half of the
UNIX itself.

Of course I'm sure he's wearing asbestos clothing and chain mail to
become impervious to criticism. Where does anyone at Bell get off being
insulted by constructive argumentation?

<<Climbing into asbestos suit>>

Pete Rourke
Tulsa OK