Xenix/386 + VGA

Dave Burton daveb at laidbak.UUCP
Wed Jul 20 00:55:49 AEST 1988

I recently ordered a Dell System 310 with a VGA monitor.
While talking to their tech support about which version
of Xenix to get for this system (with a 90 Meg ESDI drive),
I was informed of a problem where Xenix cannot talk to
the Paradise VGA card as a VGA.

The solution given was extremely kludgy. I do not yet have
this system in hand (won't until early August), so I haven't
had a chance to verify correctness of this kludge:

1. Boot from an MSDOS disk. (ack!)
2. From the VGA utility disk, execute "VGA".
3. Select "Hercules Full Mode" or "CGA Mode".
4. Select "Lock Current Mode".
5. Goto system setup mode (Cntl-Alt-Enter) and change the
	display type to whatever you did in step 3.
6. Warm boot to Xenix (Cntl-Alt-Delete).

This supposedly lasts until the next power-on.

Anyone: I seek confirmation of this problem and solution.
Anyone: There has got to be a better way. What is it?

SCO: when will you have a new VGA driver for Paradise VGA cards?

Thanks in advance.

-- Dave Burton (ihnp4!laidbak!daveb)