tgetent core dump on sco xenix

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.UUCP
Wed Jul 6 13:15:12 AEST 1988

In article <3291 at bigtex.uucp> james at bigtex.UUCP (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
#IN article <414 at vector.UUCP>, chip at vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) wrote:
#> In article <3222 at bigtex.uucp> james at bigtex.uucp wrote:
#> }IN article <701 at nod2sco>, rosso at sco.COM (Ross Oliver) wrote:
#> }>     - Declare your functions' return values.
#
#> }This last statement is incorrect, or rather, evidence of a broken
#> }compiler.
#
#> XENIX does the right thing.  You can do (char *) assignments and
#> comparisons with zero.
#
#int *i, **p;
#
#i = 0;
#if (i != 0)
#   printf("Broken compiler\n");
#
#p = &i /* ie, not 0 */
#if (p == 0)
#   printf("Broken compiler\n");
#
#Nobody is saying that "*i = 0; p = *i" needs to yield "p == 0".  But
#the above tests should never fail or generate a warning under any
#memory model.  I mean, if a compiler can handle

Under Xenix V/386 (2.2.1, 2.2.1 development set), it does not generate a
warning on compile, nor do I get any "Broken Compiler" messages when
executing the output...

The example given compiles and runs properly under small model '386, as
well as Small and large Model '286 code (I checked all three).

Please... check these assumptions!  Xenix may have had these problems once
upon a time.  All that's left seem to be the "infinite spill" errors
(grrr... you guys NEED to fix this one; it's the only really horrid
irritant I have found in an otherwise excellent development system).

--
Karl Denninger (ddsw1!karl) Data: (312) 566-8912, Voice: (312) 566-8910
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    "Quality solutions at a fair price"