man pages & SCO Xenix

Mwa ha ha ericg at sco.COM
Sat Jul 2 05:32:44 AEST 1988

chip at vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) wrote in article <385 at vector.UUCP>:
]As a side issue, I've never understood why XENIX took one suitably crummy
]convention (1 2 3 ... 8) and replaced it with another crummy convention
](C F M S ...).  It certainly isn't worth the price of breaking every "make
]install" in the world.  My understanding is that this is a usoft-ism, and
]not a sco-ism.  In the grand scheme of things, it's pretty trivial.  But
]I hope the *nix merger-mania fixes this.
]--
]Chip Rosenthal /// chip at vector.UUCP /// Dallas Semiconductor /// 214-450-0400

I doubt anything will fix this.  The problem stems from chopping up
Unix into different pieces: OS, Development System, and Text processing.
If you did not separate the man pages is some other way than the
(1,2,...8) scheme, when you bought the DS, you would have to alphabetize
all the sections yourself.

Since people don't like having to remove book blocks from shrinkwrap
and install tabs themselves, imagine what a pain that this would have
to be.

--
Eric Griswold  |\*/ \*/ \*/ \*/ \*/ \*/ \*/ \*/ \*/ \*| "When Zen is outlawed |
ericg at sco.COM  | I do not speak for SCO.  I barely    | only outlaws will     |