SCO and hard disk errors

Roger A. Cornelius rac at jc3b21.UUCP
Sat Jul 2 04:56:32 AEST 1988

>From article <11419 at steinmetz.ge.com>, by davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr):
< In article <2354 at ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> kinmonthprep at deneb.ucdavis.edu.UUCP (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
< | What about the MSDOS partition.  The badtrk utility refuses to
< | accept bad track information for the MSDOS partition but the dos*
< | functions seem to have a remarkable ability to address bad tracks
< | in the MSDOS partition.  Then the disk drive starts making noises
< | like an old Maytag with rocks in it....
<
<   I have never seen any problem with the utilities failing to honor the
< bad track info created by the DOS "format" program. Has anyone else seem
< this?
<
< --
< 	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)
<   {uunet | philabs | seismo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen
< "Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -me

Yes, I have Sperry Xenix (really SCO) sysVr2.0 and although I haven't tried
badtrk, or even know if I have it, the utilities that access the dos partition
sometimes fail when trying to read a bad area of the dos partition.  It's been
a while since I checked into it, but cylinder-head info returned by the error
matched the bad areas on the dos partition.

Roger