SCO XENIX 386 and a MODEM PROBLEM!

Brad Transue transue at t9103.UUCP
Sat Jul 30 06:06:57 AEST 1988

Here is an interesting problem that has me stumped.

I was helping a friend correct problems with a Tandy 4000 running
SCO XENIX 386 2.2.x. We put a Tandy 1200 baud internal Hayes AT
command set compatible ( I know :-) in as COM1 tty1A CD forced.
It dials out to my 286 box with Microport System V/AT 2.2.0 and I
can login to my system and verify it works. I set up a shell
script for them to invoke cu and tee the output of a login to a
remote site to a file and save the session.
That works fine, but when I try to login to the 386 from my 286
I get the xenix386:login: prompt and type in the login name
THEN it comes back with garbage ( well actually it is consistant)
so I guess it is the password prompt. This problem is
made more interesting by the fact that if I invoke UUCP from my 286
to the 386 it completes fine and the files I wanted to cu and %take
are fine, UUCP has connected fine 3 times no problem. If I attempt
to login using cu like I said above I get the login, and if I hit
enter several times I keep getting the login prompt so I don't think
the modem is shifting speeds on me.

I haven't been back to the office the computer is in to open it up
and play with the switch settings, the only one I could play with is
the CD forced/not forced switch though, the others are for NEVER
ANSWER and COM1/COM2. There is an Arnet Smartport 8 on COM2 side.

Any ideas folks?
--
Brad Transue  UUCP: ..!bpa!vu-vlsi!devon!t9103!transue
                or: transue at t9103.UUCP