Uport getty/login and replacements (was: Re: modem answering at wrong speed)

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.uucp
Mon Jul 25 10:58:26 AEST 1988

IN article <151 at dcs.UUCP>, wnp at dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) wrote:
> I am running under the unlimited user license, so this presents no legal
> problems; if you have the limited license, your license agreement states
> that you must not make any changes which permit more than one serial port
> login in addition to any logins on the virtual consoles or a total of two
> logins on serial ports.

This license prohibition is unenforceable under the Vault v. Quaid
decision handed down by the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals last month.
Indeed, you are free to make useful changes to the binaries.
Specifically, such clauses are in violation of 17 U.S.C. section 117.

This doesn't mean it's legal or ethical to have more than two logins.
It just means you may hack login, getty or the kernel itself to your
heart's content.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen   ...!ut-sally!utastro!bigtex!james   "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746