AT&T Customer Service Memo

Steven Goodman steven at lakesys.UUCP
Tue Mar 22 00:38:58 AEST 1988

In article <942 at daisy.UUCP> dturner at daisy.UUCP (LeStat de Lioncourt) writes:
>From article <570 at auvax.UUCP>, by louis at auvax.UUCP (Louis Schmittroth):
>> In article <159 at mkunix.DEC.COM>, tyager at mkunix.DEC.COM (Tom Yager) writes:
>>>                 AT&T Customer Service Memorandum
>>>
>>>      Please stop submitting compliants.  This is our system.  We
>>> designed it, we built it, and we use it more than you do.  If
>>
>> This was the most offensive posting I have seen from from vendor about
>> another vendor.  Not funny, not accurate, merely scurrilous. Doesn't
>> belong on comp.unix.xenix, nor rec.humor, nor anywhere else, except
>> the author's waste basket.  Does Tom Yager really work for DEC?
>
> LAY OFF, I thought it was veary cute, not the best but all right,
>I agre it dose not belong in comp.unix.etc but it dose fall into the
>catagory of hummor.
>
>just because it dose not seem funny to you dosn't meen it's not
>funny to everone,
>
>sorry, i just needed to soy that,

        I happen to agree totally with the authors views.  As a Systems
        Administrator  of a University with LOTS of AT&T stuff from
        6300's to 3B15's I could write books as to  problems with
        support,  hardware,  etc...   Sometimes I wonder if they even
        give a ^%$#.  Seems as if you don't become VERY verbose and
        start creating waves, nothing gets done.   In fact we at
        Marquette University (there I said it) have been promised MUCH
        from AT&T and haven't seen a thing yet.  We are still waiting
        to beta test  3B600's  (now that they are being mass produced
        and marketed) and also have been waiting 3 weeks longer then promised
        to be a general "Hardware/Software Beta Site".   I have a feeling
        that it will not be easy, every time they promise anything I spend
        HOURS trying to make this a reality on the phone.  I often think
        they promise these things simply to calm us down (last time they
        promised us something was after they couldn't get out "net" up
        for weeks).  Local support?   Zippo, only way they react is after
        they get ^&%$ from upstairs.  Then they "nice ya to death" for awhile
        and back to the same routine.  Personally, bad service is one thing
        (and AT&T wrote the book on it) but IF I am told that I am to
        receive product to beta test (ie; "you guys want a bunch of 3B600's
        to test?")  or if I am told "We would like to make you a beta site
        for future AT&T Hardware & Software", I expect it.  Now it's no
        longer a matter of poor service but their "good word". One would
        think that a corporation with sooo much money behind them would
        be able to get something done?  Forget it, it's like dealing
        with the Government!   Everyone has their job, and I rarely see
        anyone there putting in anything "extra".   By the way, would
        someone at the hotline change the "muzak" on the phones?   I've
        heard every song 100's of times now.  Our department pours a
        huge percentage of it's budget into AT&T product (like sending
        something to /dev/null).  Perhaps they will win this war, I'm
        tired, I'm exhauted, I'm fustrated.

        As for posting this sort of thing to the "net".  I would do the
        same if they gave us great service.

                   Anyone have Jimmy Olsen's phone number?

--
Steven M. Goodman