386 system

K. Glen Newton knewton at watsup.waterloo.edu
Wed Mar 9 05:52:18 AEST 1988

hello,

this is a call of assistance from someone not to knowledgable about
unix/xenix. in out lab we have a 16 Mhz Zenith 386 with 5 Meg and a 80 meg
hard drive. we are about to purchase sco xenix 386 (os & development),
multi-view, and vp/ix.
i have a couple of questions and problems i would appreciate some help with:

    1 - we want to connect to the local net with an ethernet board. what
        boards support xenix (& vice versa). will these boards come with the
        requisite software(firmware) (tcp/ip, etc...).

    2 - what about email and news? every other unix machine on the net
        around campus are running bsd4.3, so i don't know if we'll be able
        to get sources for the above that would run without much difficulty.
        is there a public domain news for xenix?

    3 - with vp/ix, can you run a ms-dos task in more than one console window
        at a time?

    4 - has anyone had any experiance with the statistics package that runs
        on xenix?

    5 - exactly what terminals does 2.2.2 actually support?

    6 - is the ms C compiler come with everything the the separatly purchased
        version have?

     sorry if these questions have already been discussed/answered in this
     space or are simply stupid. i would appreciate any advice from 386
     xenix users, including anything i have not covered.

thanks much,

'cogito ergo ELK'

watmath!watsup!knewton
knewton at watsup