tty error

TCC Software Developer jack at turnkey.TCC.COM
Tue Mar 29 05:21:20 AEST 1988

In article <884 at udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> mabrey at vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Dennis W Mabrey) writes:

>        The company I work for has an AT compatable running
>        SCO XENIX.   We sometimes get the message on our main console
>        that says:
>
>       init:/dev/ttyx05: getty keeps dying. There may be a problem
                    ^^^^^
More information about your hardware is necessary to give thorough advise on
this problem, I am unsure if the above is a typo or you are using somebody's
multiport card with special tty drivers.

>         None of our manuals tell us any information.
>         Does anyone know what the problem/solutions is??
The general answer is that as init tries to spawn a getty on the port of this
tty it is dying off. When init must respawn too frequently it will give you
this message. If it is a special multiport card it may be the problem, check
all connections, power down and reseat the card, check all external connectors
as well. If you meant to say 'tty05' you have a problem in the basic system
somewhere since that is not even a real serial port, but a multiscreen. If you
care to email me more detail on the hardware, and ,say, frequency of the problem
I could perhaps make more concrete suggestions.

						Good luck,

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA