Bell Technologies UNIX/386

John Romkey romkey at kaos.UUCP
Thu Mar 31 07:37:25 AEST 1988

In article <201 at xrtll.UUCP> martin at xrtll.UUCP (Martin Renters) writes:
>Has anyone had any experience with the Bell Technologies
>UNIX for the 80386?

This isn't really what you're looking for, but my real experience
with it is that I tried to buy a copy a week ago and called four
consecutive days and never got to talk to a salesman and never got
called back.

They were very apologetic when I called up and said "I'd like to BUY
something from you. I'd like to GIVE YOU MONEY for your product, but
you don't seem to be willing to let me do so" and said they'd have a
salesman call me right back. Well...

Actually, I have used it a little. I ported GNU emacs to a Bell Tech
386 at MIT running their UNIX. The port went very smoothly, just
picked the System V release 3 and Intel 386 header files, and built
it. It's REAL System V with no csh or more or those sorts of
Berkeleseque things. I don't know whether they're available
separately as an option or not.
--
			- john romkey
UUCP: ...harvard!spdcc!kaos!romkey	ARPA: romkey at xx.lcs.mit.edu