SCO Xenix stand alone/single user mode???

Mitchell Lerner mitchell at cadovax.UUCP
Wed Mar 16 03:20:50 AEST 1988

Lets say my passwd or inittab file or something gets clobbered so that
my system won't come up multiuser.

How do I bring up Xenix 2.2.1 in some sort of stand alone or single user
mode so that I can do things like:

	o mount file systems.
	o look around.
	o edit files.
	o cpio or tar stuff in.

In this mode will I still be able to use my 9 track cartrige tape drive
to restore things?

which works better for getting specific stuff off (e.g. /u/osas/data/* or
/usr/bin/???), cpio or tar)?  I had some trouble doing this with tar
but it may have been attributed to some other tape trouble that I was
haveing at the time.  I would think that you could do this with either.
Which is better to use for daily backup/restore functions (cpio or tar)?

Thanks.
--
Mitchell Lerner
UUCP:  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!mitchell

"When I fight with my mind, my mind always wins" - Ben Hummel