Simple disk performance test.

terry terry at wsccs.UUCP
Wed Mar 16 18:00:52 AEST 1988

In article <579 at tapa.UUCP>, larry at tapa.UUCP (Larry Pajakowski) writes:
> We just got a Compaq-386/20 with the Compaq 130mb. disk.
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> All the factors (1:1 interleave, ESDI, 20mhz. processor, fast seek times)
> really add up to impresive performance.  This generally agrees with the
> overall feel of the machine.

	There are a great number of complaints I have with the 386/20, most
of which stem from the use of standard AT-style bus (Edge-triggered) hardware.

Before I get flamed, let me point out that I am not trying to brow-beat you
into a PS/2-80 or anything.

IBM did one thing right: They went level-triggered.  This is _not_ better
because it is faster (it isn't), it is better because it allows you to add
boards with a slower-than-20-meg onboard clock and still have them work.

Anybody who tries to hook up an intellicom or computone board to a 386/20
running Xenix (any version that'll run on the '20) can tell you horror
stories.  No, I am not talking about the "phantom math processor"; that was
fixed in 2.2.2 rev k.

There are some basic design incompatabilities with the cheaper boards here,
kids.  A fast machine is nice, but a reliable one is nicer.  If you absolutely
_MUST_ have a '20 for the speed, choose you 2nd party boards _very_ carefully
and expect to spend more for them.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...{ decvax, ihnp4 }                          |
| @ Century Software          : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |