cannot create directory?

Dominick Samperi samperi at marob.MASA.COM
Tue Nov 22 15:14:33 AEST 1988

In article <12630 at steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>Anyone got any other ideas, or known problems causing the -d option to be
>ignored? After trying this four time from the floppy boot, I copied
>enough files to the hard disk to boot, and was able to load without
>problems. Ideas??

Perhaps the files were dumped without the "-depth" find option, in which case
directories would appear in the CPIO archive before the files that the
directories contain. The "-m" CPIO option would then force the ownership
of the directories to be restored, perhaps to someone other than the
person doing the restoring. In particular, this would prevent CPIO
from making subdirectories of such inaccessible directories.
--
Dominick Samperi, NYC
    samperi at acf8.NYU.EDU	samperi at marob.MASA.COM