Ethernets in Xenix

Jack F. Vogel jack at turnkey.TCC.COM
Mon Nov 14 05:51:13 AEST 1988

In article <4 at xenlink.UUCP> deraadt at xenlink.UUCP (Theo A. DeRaadt) writes:

>I am wondering about using Ethernets with Xenix - and have a couple of
>questions that I would like to pose.
>
>Does someone have an NFS for it?

SCO's package Xenix-Net gives you something like NFS. It also has something
like ftp and rlogin but they are not really using TCP/IP as the transport
protocol. I have heard a rumor that SCO is soon going to offer a seperate
TCP package but have not confirmed this. The other problem with the Xenix-Net
package is that it only supports limited ethernet cards, like Excellan's
or Sytek's broadband card. These cards are excellent but very expensive.

>Can you get rlogin,ftp and all that good stuff for it?

Excellan provides you with full TCP/IP software with their ethernet card.
Also FTP software may soon offer a similar package that will work with the
inexpensive Western Digital 8003E ethernet card, I believe it is in beta
test at the moment. I am nearly finished with a device driver for the WD
card which I may or may not put in the public domain, I am also planning
to make suitable modifications to the KA9Q package to use the card under
Xenix (Bob Clements has already done so for DOS).

						Hope this helps,

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA