BYTE vs. XENIX

Peter Jeremy peter at stca77.stc.oz
Wed Nov 23 11:47:32 AEST 1988

[ I tried replying by mail, but it bounced. ]

In article <227 at nicaud.UUCP> tissot at nicaud.UUCP (Kevin Tissot) writes:
> In the November 1988 issue of BYTE (CHAOS MANNER, pg.113) the
>following comments are made regarding SCO XENIX:
>
>"...you cannot run Unix with the Zenith Z-448 video board and the
>ZCM-1490 Flat Technology Monitor."
>
>"Unix doesn't really like or understand color, or at least that's my
>conclusion."

In general (as pointed out at length in comp.sys.amiga), Jerry Pournelle
is a strange cross between an expert and a computer-illiterate.  He is
very loath to admit that he doesn't know everything, whilst claiming he
is a typical beginning computer user.  In particular, he will put up with
the most ridiculous behaviour from his beloved DOS (like loading TSR's in
specific orders to prevent assorted unusual behaviour) but if anything
else does not work first-time in whatever weird configuration he happens
to try it in, then it is a total failure.  A good assumption is that if
JP says it works then it does, if he says it doesn't then it probably does
if you set it up correctly, if it's not MS-DOS, ignore any statements he
makes.

I don't know about that particular video board/monitor combination, but in
general Xenix seems quite happy with the standard monochrome/cga/ega/vga/pga
interfaces (I haven't tried Hercules).  Some multi-standard cards may not
work properly (the only one I know of is the ITT IGA which is only found in
ITT computers, and ITT state it doesn't work with Xenix) - you should check.

Colour _is_ supported.  There is a setcolor program which allows you to
choose the foreground/background colours, or you can use ANSI control
sequences to change colours, alter the cursor etc.  Colour is not well
supported in termcap, but this is easily changed (add your own sequences).
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)         peter at stca77.stc.oz
Alcatel-STC Australia        ...!uunet!stca77.stc.oz!peter
41 Mandible St               peter%stca77.stc.oz at uunet.UU.NET
ALEXANDRIA  NSW  2015